Recently, we asked last year’s primary recipient, the Gathering Friends, for a follow-up. They were kind enough to oblige and let us know what they were able to do with our funds–we’d like to remind everyone that the Gathering Friends generously shared with a number of other organizations last year, so did not take the full proceeds of the 2015 competition.
According to the Gathering Friends, our 2015 donation enabled them to:
- Buy a large number of single bus passes, as well as weekly and monthly for individuals with greater needs. Bus passes enable those in need to get to doctor’s appointments, social services visits, obtain services, and go to job interviews. (QCBMF also passes the hat monthly to buy a 60-count book of bus passes)
- Pay to keep an account open at the Medicine Shoppe pharmacy. This account was used to pay for antibiotic prescriptions for those in need.
- Provide some of those in need with emergency dental care and access to vision care and eyeglasses.
- Help several people get or maintain housing by paying rental deposits and City Utilities bills.
- In addition, our donations enabled the purchase of 40 pairs of new boots this winter to keep feet warm and healthy.
We are so very happy to have been able to help, and hope to continue to in the future–you’ll see us serving meals at least a few times a year.
Whether you’re just coming around the block or you’re travelling to this year’s competition, you’ll find a full schedule of events here to print or save to your phone.
Friday April 15, 2016 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM Join us at Mother’s Brewing (http://mothersbrewing.com/) for a Meet & Greet. There’s beer and cider available. Mother’s does not serve food, but is close to a number of downtown restaurants. Mother’s Brewing is located @ 215 S. Grant, Springfield MO. We’ll make our apologies now—QCBMF will be a bit scarce at the Meet & Greet. Many of us will be attending a wedding of group members! They rescheduled their wedding to make it to the competition.
Saturday April 16, 2016 12:00 to 1:00 PM Tour of Mother’s Brewing Company. Please arrive by 11:55. Samples will be provided and the tasting room is open after the tour.
Saturday April 16, 2016 2:00 to 5:00 PM Registration is open! Come in, hang out, check out our silent auction and raffle items and register if you haven’t at 319 Event Center @ 319 W. Walnut.
Saturday April 16, 2016 5:00 to 6:00 PM The Junior Competition begins at 5:00 PM. Kids up to age 17 are welcome to enter. We’ll wrap it and be ready to begin the adult competition by 6:00 PM. Children may stay after the kids’ competition, but you’re responsible for them! Saturday April 16, 2016 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM The Adult Competition begins at 6:00 PM and typically wraps up between 9:00 and 10:00 PM. Food will be available at 319 Event Center, as well as a full bar.
Saturday April 16, 2016 10:00 PM to 1:00 AM After-party at Patton Alley Pub featuring Lilly Bee and the Pollinators. Patton Alley is located just down the street from 319.