It has come to our attention that there is confusion regarding registration and judging with the Facial Hair League involvement in our event this year. Here are some additional details that will hopefully help clarify the registration and judging process this year based on some questions we’ve received in the last few days.
- I’ve pre-registered online, so do I have to register at the event, too, before 5pm? Yes! Check-in and registration booths are open on the day of the event from 2-5pm. Upon arrival at the 319 Event Center, please check-in at the QCBMF Registration Booth. The volunteers will make note that you have arrived and provide you with your registration packet, including your FREE t-shirt (if you pre-registered before April 20). After checking in at the QCBMF Registration Booth, you will then go to the FHL Registration Booth where you will be assigned your contestant number and FHL lanyard.
- I don’t do apps and I don’t own a smartphone, do I have to have this app in order to compete? No. After you’ve checked in with QCBMF and then go to the FHL Registration Booth, they will set up an FHL account for you and take your photo (optional) for the software application before assigning you a contestant number and lanyard. If you have a smartphone and wish to participate in the FHL app and share with friends who can play along and possibly win free swag, download the app here before arriving to save time at the FHL booth.
- Will the judging process rely solely on the FHL app? No. Contestants will be judged by five guest judges who will be present at the event. The FHL app is still in its pilot phase and is being used to compliment our event, provide app users with a fun way to be engaged in the process and possibly win free swag if they happen to vote for the same winners the local judges do.
- Who are the guest judges? This includes returning judge and mustachioed local news icon, Tom Trtan, as well as Jrod Rizz from the Tulsa Inner Thigh Ticklers Society, Troy Hawley from the NWA Society of Bearded or Mustachioed Gentlemen, Brad Jackson of Roughneck Beard Company from St. Louis, MO and Brett Strauss, founder of the Facial Hair League from Texas.
- How are we being judged? All five judges will be using a point system from
1 to 10.57 to 10 (this was updated after speaking with FHL at the Meet & Greet). All points given by the judges for each contestant will be added together to come up with a total score per contestant. The three contestants from each category with the highest number of points will determine the placing contestants.
- If I’m among the top three for my category, what do I win? First place contestants will receive a custom-made steel trophy provided by our sponsor, Sabo Fabrication Shop. Second and third place contestants will receive plaques. All placing contestants will also receive free gifts provided by our many raffle sponsors. There will also be a ‘Best In Show’ trophy, provided by our sponsoring artist, Scottoons, given to the contestant who stands out from all the rest. This will be given at the judges discretion.
- The FHL app will not let me sign up, it is timing out when I try to register. What do I do? If you find you’re having trouble registering via the FHL app, it could be due to high traffic. We recommend trying again later or simply wait and let them help you get registered at the FHL Registration Booth on the day of the event.